Sunday, March 2, 2014

Wax Notes | February 2014


Wild Honey (Ten Digit Creations)
This is such a beautiful scent. The cold throw doesn't prepare you for how amazing the warm throw will be. The honey is a major note and so true. My mum smells roses. After she mentioned that, I began to pick up more floral. This tart is crazy strong! I popped the whole tart into my ceramic bowl/11w hot plate warm and it has been burning for more than 16 hours. The throw is also amazing. It floated out of my room all the way down the stairs to our living room! Definitely on the re-order list!

Mandarin Cranberry (Yankee Candle Co.)
A very old tart that I got on sale at the Yankee counter at Takashimaya Department Store a year or so ago. It's just a pleasant sweet fruity scent. If I have to quibble, I think the Mandarin is a little stronger. The initial throw was strong enough to waft out of my room which in my books is medium-strong.

Wild Raspberry & Rhubarb (Dusk)
Gifted by a friend who visited Australia, I did a little research online and Dusk seems to be the Australian equivalent of Bath & Bodyworks or Yankee Candles. It has a nice raspberry scent but has a very weak throw. I had to get right up to my warmer to sniff it. Switched it out after about three hours.

White Candy Apple (Luna Bleu)
I think this was a freebie from my 2009 order. I hunted around the internet but I couldn't find a scent description. On cold sniff, I get mostly Winter Candy Apple (a scent I love!). Upon warming it up, I also get a chocolate scent. Unfortunately, these two scents doesn't blend that well together. I am glad to finally use it up!


Rejuvenate (Dusk)
So far my favourite and the strongest of the Dusk melts. This one has notes of rose and tangerine. The rose is strongest on cold throw but when its starts melting, the tangerine becomes more apparent. It's actually quite a nice blend together.

Island Spa (Yankee Candle Co.)
My first whiff on warm, I caught a laundry scent. The throw and scent is very very weak, it's also a very old tart. Only when I sniff very hard do I catch a faint citrus scent. It's probably a very scent when fresh.

Blueberries & Cherries (Front Porch Candle Co.)
This is my last tart from a free 4-pack that Front Porch used to give for orders above $25. I remember being so thrilled with the scent that I got, I popped it first into my warmer. It's a sweet, candy fruity scent. The cherry scent is stronger but here and there, I will get a whiff of the more sour blueberry note.

Nature's Bounty (Front Porch Candle Co.)
I can't seem to find the scent description for this tart. It smells spicy on cold sniff. And on warm, just as spicy. Do not like. Also, very weak scent throw. Oops, I forgot to take a picture of the tart itself so we will have to settle for the packet instead.


Caramel Corn (Lasting Scent Candles)
I don't remember liking this so much the last time I melted it. This is such a true to life scent, I can actually smell the popcorn kernels. Isn't that ridiculous! I might have to search out a few more caramel corn scents to figure out how much of this do I like. I am getting a medium throw with half a tart.

Lemon Curd & Rose Milk (The Bathing Garden)
I was so excited with my The Bathing Garden order that I immediately popped this into my warmer to try out this new-to-me vendor. I melted one cube in my tealight warmer and the throw is very direct and very strong within a medium range. The rose is the primary scent, and the tartness of the lemon counters the rose in a very pretty way. The milk gives it a creamy dimension, no sourness at all! My Mum also gives this the stamp of approval.

6 comments:

  1. Great bunch of melts this week! Bummer the Island Spa wasn't working for you, that's one of my faves from Yankee. I find their stuff to be pretty weak in general now that I'm used to my vendor tarts. I still love their scents though so I'll always still buy a few things here and there! Lemon Curd and Rose Milk is one of my all-time faves from TBG! Glad that one worked out well for you =) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually these are my melts for the month! I am a slow melter because I only do it in my room at night and on the weekends. It smelled really good though, it was probably a combination of weak throw and it being old. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I loved seeing Dusk in your melts. I haven't heard of them before!
    I'm very happy that the blueberry in the front porch tart worked for you. Blueberry is a tough scent to pull off.
    I, too, love Lemon Curd & Rose Milk--it was one of the first scents from TBG I fell in love with. Are you planning on order for the restock on the 5th?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to try out more blueberry scents to figure it out, I am not too familiar with blueberry myself. It's so fun now to figure out what I like and dislike!
      I go backwards and forwards everyday, some of the scents sound absolutely delicious but I need to work through more wax to justify buying (now, where have we heard that before?) :)

      Delete
  3. I just picked up some of the Mandarin Cranberry tarts at the YC outlet a couple weeks ago but I've been out of town so haven't had a chance to burn them yet. Glad to hear the mandarin is the dominant note--getting a little tired of cranberry :) I also like TDC's Wild Honey a lot, and end up cutting it into quarters because it's so strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Mandarin Cranberry works out for you! It seems like a nice scent but mine being an old tart I can't really tell. TDC is sooo strong, I am definitely cutting them up. But for one tart to throw so strongly, wow!

      Delete