Friday, January 31, 2014

Wax Notes | January 2014

What I Melted & Used Up

Inspired by Fragrance Obsessed's melt diary, I decided to adopt the same style of snapping a phone photo of my wax to document my wax burnings. I am really liking it!



Vanilla Bean Noel (Luna Bleu) 
I have had this tart since Dec 2009 (had to dig around my inbox to check the dates) but the scent has not diminished one bit! I melted the whole tart in my makeshift 11w warmer, and it threw consistently

Wine By Candlelight (Front Porch Candle Co.)
A slightly newer tart dating to Dec 2011. I like this scent. On cold sniff, it's a rather sugary grape, but on melting it throws out this really lovely, mellow, tart grape. The name is apt because this is a tart that you should melt only in the evening as you unwind. It started out with a strong throw and slowly evened out to a medium-light throw. I melted this in a smaller, metal bowl on my 11w warmer. I am experimenting with different bowls to see which one works best with such a low-wattage warmer. VBN was melted in the porcelain bowl that came with the 24w warmer and it melted quite nicely but I am wondering if a smaller, more heat conduct-able bowl would help melt the wax better.

Apple Orchard (Front Porch Candle Co.)
Part of my Dec 2011 order. I am loving loving this scent. Of course, I have always been a fan of apple scents but this is one that I am happy to re-order. It's a combination of Granny Smith and Red Mac Apple and it actually smells crunchy! I am thinking that I might get this in a 4-pack in my next order (yes, I am planning a new order!). After the disappointing Wine By Candlelight tart, I was a little anxious, wondering if Front Porch was really as awesome as I remembered so I switched to burning this in my tealight warmer, and thankfully it still is.

Cactus & Sea Salt (Lasting Scent Candle)
One of my favourite clean & green scents that my family loves as well. Sometimes it can be a little too sharp but you just have to be careful to keep it down to a gently floating scent. For this LSC tart, I am using only half because LSC packs their tarts full of fragrance oils (while awesome for scent, not so awesome for the hands). This tart also dates to Dec 2011. I had a hunch that oilier tarts might work in my make-shift metal bowl/11w warmer combination so I am trying the LSC in the electrical warmer. It's been on for over 24 hours and finally showing signs of quitting! Wow!

4 comments:

  1. What a great post and beautiful pictures! I love that you're doing the melt log, please keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great way to train my nose and develop my writing skills! Haha! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Michelle, great to see another wax blog out there! Great little bunch of melts there. I was so surprised to see Luna Bleu on there, I haven't heard that name for years, from back in the day when I was ordering from all the B&B e-tailers. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in wax =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui! Nice to see you here! Thank you, right now I am frantically trying to use up my old tarts before my new hauls come in. I still have Luna Bleu's B&B stuff too! I remember their Halloween bags were such a hit in those days!

      Delete